August 20, 2018
Dear LTA members:
Welcome back! I hope you have all had a restful break. I truly believe the 2018-19 academic year will be an incredibly revitalizing, exciting, and pivotal year for Lynwood Teachers Association. The Executive Board is off to a running start this year with their intensive, two-day planning retreat in early August. At the retreat, the Board created and scheduled the 2018-19 LTA Calendar, which includes all events, meetings, and activities. In addition, the Board set goals in bargaining and member engagement, as well as creating new committees, approving trainings, and formulating a chapter communications plan and a member engagement plan. The Executive Board reviewed and approved the 2018-19 LTA Budget and conducted an evaluation of the chapter’s strengths and weaknesses as well, and had a presentation from CTA Legal, where we reviewed member-processing changes. After the in-depth retreat, LTA Executive Board members are ready to address any and all member concerns.
Last Thursday, LTA members received a Bargaining Update email that recapped the previous 10 bargaining sessions. I would like to re-emphasize a few points from that update:
- The most recent salary offer from the District includes an off-schedule 0.4% increase effective July 1, 2017, and an off-schedule 0.3% increase effective July 1, 2018, for all bargaining unit members. This amounts to 0% on-schedule over two years.
- LTA’s most recent proposal includes an on-schedule 3.5% across-the-board salary increase retroactive to July 1, 2017, and an on-schedule 5% across-the-board salary increase retroactive to July 1, 2018 for all bargaining unit members.
- LTA’s and CTA’s review of the District’s financials across 2016-17 and 2017-18 demonstrates that there is money available to support a fair on-schedule salary increase for all bargaining unit members and to make improvements to health and welfare benefits.
The next scheduled bargaining session is set for Wednesday, August 29th. We need you to support the bargaining team as they fight for you, so please remember to wear your red LTA T-shirt on August 29th. As the Bargaining Team stated, “we need the support of all members to achieve our demands at the table.”
Just a reminder on a few additional items:
- Site Rep Emergency Meeting on Thursday, August 30th, from 3:45 p.m – 5:00 p.m. at the LTA office. Two critical items will be discussed — the Bargaining Update (as of 8/29) and new changes in membership processing.
- The Executive Board members will be writing monthly informational and “Know Your Rights” articles. These will be sent out via email and then placed on the LTA website. The articles will address member concerns such as: Tips for New Teachers, FMLA, Administrative Leave, Teacher Demoralization/Burn-out, PAR (Peer Assistance Review), How to Read (and Understand!) Your Paycheck, CTA Benefits, and Understanding the Grievance Process. If you have any article suggestions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to participate and be a member of an LTA Committee (Communications, Instruction and Professional Development, Grievance, Elections, Political Action Committee, Member Engagement/Social Committee, Budget and Oversight Committee), please send me an email.
Please stop by the LTA office if you have any concerns or just to say hello. The office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
I hope this year brings you much success in your classroom with a minimal amount of stress. Thank you all for the hard work you are about to begin.
“The people united will never be defeated.”