As a much-anticipated Spring Break approaches, LTA Committees are gearing up for the year-end events. Please note the following list of events that are scheduled for April, May, and June of 2018.
- The Supreme Court decision in Janus vs. AFSCME, expected in June 2018, will determine whether public unions can continue collecting fair share fees from non-members who benefit from collective bargaining including pay, benefits, and other improvements the union negotiates. In anticipation of this, LTA site representatives collected Commitment Cards from members in February, which demonstrated members’ dedication to union membership. LTA will continue to update members on the status of the Janus decision.
- LUSD Community Outreach Canvassing continues this coming Saturday, March 24th. CCMS, Lindbergh Elementary, Roosevelt Elementary, and Hosler MS are scheduled to canvas their neighborhoods from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. On Saturday, April 14th, Rosa Parks, Marshall, and Lugo Elementary schools, as well as Lynwood High, are hosting their canvassing event. Abbott, Lincoln, and Will Rogers have scheduled an April 21st. canvassing date, while Lynwood Middle and Firebaugh High dates are yet to be determined. The goal of canvassing is to connect Lynwood schools with the community and have conversations with community members about our schools, programs, and services. LTA encourages all members to participate in the canvassing events.
- April 20th is the CTA/NEA National Day of Action Against Gun Violence in Schools. Click here to see CTA/NEA planned activities, or to suggest one of your own.
- April and May will bring the LTA Executive Board Elections for Secretary, High School Director, Middle School Director, At-Large Director, and Elementary Director, as well as the 2018 State Council Elections for two positions. Candidacy forms and election timelines forthcoming.
- LTA’s WHO Award nominee and At-Large Director, Angela Porter, will be honored at the WHO Awards Dinner on May 9th. The WHO Awards honor outstanding association members who have made huge contributions to their locals.
- LTA and the District will hold the fifth bargaining session on April 13th. See attached update.
- Day of the Teacher is Wednesday, May 9th.
- State Delegate NEA-RA elections were held at all sites last week and results will be announced at the beginning of the April. The LTA Local State Delegate election was waived by the LTA Executive Board due to fewer than six candidates running. The LTA members who will attend the 2018 NEA-RA Conference in Minneapolis this summer are Elizabeth Logan and Daniel Gallegos. Congratulations!
- CTA Campaign 2018: CTA recommends supporting Gavin Newsom for Governor and Tony Thurmond for Superintendent of Public Instruction. Click here to read about both.
- LTA’s End of the Year Celebration honoring this year’s certificated retirees and the newly elected Executive Board members, as well as the entire LTA membership, will be held at La Huasteca, Plaza Mexico, Lynwood, on May 31st. Please save the date.